Abu Dhabi: A trial of 30 suspects allegedly belonging to an Egyptian-Emirati Muslim Brotherhood cell will commence on November 5, the Federal Supreme Court announced as it continues to prepare for the proceedings.
The cell, which was reportedly discovered late last year, consists of 14 Emiratis and 16 Egyptians.
“Ten suspects of the 30 have fled the country and UAE authorities have informed Interpol which will, upon finding them, send them back to the UAE for trial,” a source at the Federal Supreme Court who declined to be named told Gulf News.
“Our National Security Department has taken all measures required in investigating the accused. These procedures include documenting their testimonies and confessions. A number of police recordings, videos, correspondence and conversations among the members themselves both within the UAE and other Brotherhood members in Egypt have also been obtained,” the Federal Court official added.
According to the official, some of the confiscated evidence includes documents, pictures and maps of a major government department in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and a flash disk which was stolen from the department.
“In addition to recordings and other documents which suggest the occurrence of secret meetings aiming to overthrow the government and take over the UAE authorities, we also have proof that the suspects received money and instructions from the Brotherhood in Egypt,” the source said.
Presiding Judge Mohammad Abdul Rahman Ali Bin Jarrah Al Tunaiji will be overseeing the hearings which will be open to the media and will take place in the same hall that witnessed earlier the trial of a 94-member Emirati Muslim Brotherhood cell in March this year.