Do you want your pictures and videos at your fingertips, rather than up in the cloud? Or do you need more space for your video game collection? Today’s external hard drives are a great solution. With a whole range of storage capacities and prices, they are portable, reliable and safe – perfect for any home. In our curated list, we share only the best high-capacity devices, from 8TB to 4TB, to ensure you always have space for your growing digital library. For instant access to smaller files, check out our selection of the best 1TB flash drives that can even connect to your smartphone. Get these devices as early as tomorrow with Amazon Prime.
1. Best Overall: Western Digital Book 8TB Desktop Hard Drive
- Scheduled back-up software
- Doesn't overheat
- Includes two USB cables
- Works better with Windows
Don’t worry about losing valuable data anymore, with this massive 8TB capacity hard drive. If you work with a lot of videos and pictures, or need a storage facility for your home office, this desktop hard drive will serve you well. Schedule full system back-ups using the Acronis True Image WD Edition software. It’s compatible with Windows and Mac, and has password protection. The Digital Book is known for its durability, shock tolerance and long-term reliability, and it’s easy on the eyes, too.
Bonus: Buy with zero per cent instalments and pay Dh52.42 for 12 months with select banks.
Warranty: The supplier offers a three-year limited warranty.
2. Best for Home Office: Seagate 6TB Backup Plus Hub
- Reverse charges USB 3.0-compatible devices
- Includes an NTFS driver for MacOS and a USB cable
- Two speedy USB 3.0 ports
- Scheduled back-up software
- Reviews say compatibility can be poor with PlayStation 4
This great device isn’t just a portable hard drive with 6TB storage capabilities – it’s an all-in-one data hub. This means you can use it as a recharging station for your phones and other devices, back up documents, photos, and videos, and manage all your USB-connected devices in one place. The twin USB 3.0 ports allow you to connect and charge two devices even if your computer is off. The hard drive is formatted for Windows, but Mac owners can run it, too, by installing the provided NTFS (New Technology File System) driver for their computer. With cross-platform compatibility, reliability and speed, it’s a great option for every home.
Bonus: Buy with zero per cent instalments and pay Dh42.80 for 12 months with select banks.
3. Best Portable Drive for Mac: WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive for Mac, Blue
- Slim and lightweight at 209 grams
- Automatic scheduled back-ups with Apple's Time Machine
- Backs up social media posts
- Comes with USB-C and USB-A cables
- Can be slow in transferring speeds
Western Digital’s (WD) My Passport drive for Mac is exactly as you would expect – slim, stylish and portable. With a storage capacity of up to 5TB, you can ensure all your content on your Mac device, from photos and videos to music and documents, never gets lost. The drive works seamlessly with Apple's Time Machine software that can be set to automatically back up important files from your system, and its encrypted password protection system ensures no one can use it without your permission. You can even connect directly to social networks through the WD Discovery software, and organise life’s best moments.
4. Best for Photographers: Seagate 5TB One Touch Portable Hard Drive
- Compatible with both Windows and Mac, without reformatting
- File mirroring convenience
- Comes with Rescue Data Recovery services
- Has a four-month Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan
- Bulky design
If you’re looking for a hard drive that’s small enough to slip into your laptop bag, but big enough for all your storage needs, this is the one to consider. With plenty of room to grow, the Seagate One Touch hard drive packs 5TB of serious space for your digital library, especially for photographers on the field. Compatible with USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.0 and both Windows and Mac computers, it offers customisable back-up options, file protection, and rescue data recovery services. It even has folder mirroring capabilities, so you can just drop your files right into the designated folder, and forget about them, because you know they are safe and sound.
5. Best Budget: Toshiba 4TB Canvio Advance Portable Hard Drive
- Comes in a range of colours - white, black, red and green
- Free automatic back-up and password protection software for Windows
- Lightweight and slim
- Compatible with both Mac and Windows; needs reformatting for Mac computers
- Free software downloads for Windows users only
As stylish as it looks, this Toshiba hard drive is a high-performance solution for all your storage needs. Available in four different colours (white, red, green and black), the device is powered by USB 3.2 Gen 1 technology – so it’s much faster than USB 3.0, but still compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices. With its storage backup software and user-friendly interface, backing up content is easy, and with Toshiba Storage Security and password protection, you can always be assured your data is safe.
6. Best Gaming Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 8TB P10 Gaming Hard Drive
- Two USB Type-A charging ports for gaming gear and accessories
- Stores more than 200 games (36GB per game)
- Rugged design to match gaming set-up
- Thermal control keeps drive from overheating
Give your video game console or PC a performance-enhancing tool – this top-tier external hard drive is built specifically for gamers who are looking to save their game library in a portable device. The WD P10’s 8TB hard drive can save more than 200 games, so you never have to choose which to save and which to delete, when you need to make room for new games and record your best gameplays. Its portability and durability give you the ability to take your library with you anywhere. You can even charge your gaming accessories and gear using the two USB-A ports on the drive. With optimised speed boosts and expansion, it’s the perfect Game Drive to suit your needs.
Bonus: Buy with zero per cent instalments and pay Dh70.17 for 12 months with select banks.
7. Best External Hard Drive for PlayStation: Seagate 4TB Game Drive for PlayStation, Black/Blue
- Space for over 100 PlayStation games
- Plug-and-play convenience for PS4 console
- Palm-sized and portable
- Plays PS4 titles on PS5
- Doesn't store PS5 games
Another great option for video game storage, this Seagate Game Drive can make room for more than 100 titles, with 4TB of space. This expansion drive is compatible with PlayStation 4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, but reviews say it stores PS5 games as well. The device delivers no-lag performance and is easy to intall, plug in and play. With USB 3.0 connectivity, you don’t need a power cable to connect with it. The best part? It’s small and sleek, so it’s travel ready, meaning you never have to be away from your games ever again.
Our recommendations are independently chosen by Gulf News editors. If you decide to shop through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission, as we are part of Amazon Services LLC Associates Program.