United Nations: Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates gave $930 million to UN humanitarian efforts in Yemen on Tuesday as a war between a Saudi-led military coalition and Yemen’s Al Houthi militants enters its fourth year.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman presented the previously pledged donation to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the two discussed Yemen.
The Arab world’s poorest country is in the grips of a stalemated war and what the UN calls the worst humanitarian crisis, with 22 million people needing aid.
Guterres thanked Prince Mohammad for the contribution, which covers nearly a third of the total the UN is seeking for Yemen humanitarian aid this year.
“On the other hand, we know that there is no humanitarian solution for humanitarian problems,” Guterres added.
“The solution is political, and we are entirely at your disposal to work together to find a political solution when that becomes possible.”
The UN said Guterres and the prince also discussed protecting civilians and needs for humanitarian access and open ports.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al Jubeir called the meeting “very productive and comprehensive.”
He said the two talked about avoiding foreign intervention in Yemen, particularly from Iran.
Western countries and UN researchers have accused Iran of supplying arms to the Yemeni militants, known as Al Houthis.
There is a growing body of evidence to support the claim.
The US provides logistical support and weaponry to the Saudi-led coalition.
Al Houthis and their allies seized Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, in September 2014.
The war began six months later, with the coalition backing Yemen’s internationally-recognised government.
Over 10,000 people have been killed.
On Sunday, the rebels fired a barrage of ballistic missiles targeting Saudi Arabia.
Fragments of one missile that went over Riyadh, the Saudi capital, killed one person and wounded two.
Saudi Arabia vowed a powerful response against the ‘provocative terrorist attacks’.