Dubai: Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Dubai Municipality is encouraging residents to do online shopping for this Ramadan.
The civic body on Tuesday said it has intensified inspections to ensure safety of food products and called on residents to take part in efforts to maintain a healthy environment.
“As Ramadan approaches, #DubaiMunicipality conducts an intensive inspection campaign to ensure the safety of food products across the Emirate, per the necessary health requirements. Take part & maintain a healthy environment,” the municipality said in a tweet.
The municipality also released tips for safe shopping during Ramadan that falls at a time when residents are following social distancing and other safety precautions to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
“Keep your family safe during Ramadan. #StayHome, make sure to order your food needs electronically, and don’t buy more than you can store to avoid wasting food. #RamadanKareem #DubaiMunicipality,” the municipality said in another tweet.
It also released a video with the following tips for safe shopping in Ramadan.
- Make a list of foods you would like to buy in advance
- Be sure to buy dry foods first and then fresh and frozen products
- Separate fruits and vegetables from raw foods
- Safely get rid of bags and outer covers
- Wipe the cans using antibacterial wipes or any home disinfectant (certrified in Montaji system –an app for registered products)
- Refrain from overfilling the refrigerator to ensure proper cooling
- Clean the area used for unloading and sorting the food items
- Wash your hands with soap and water after receiving delivered items and also before and after preparing food.
Dubai Municipality (DM) and the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) had earlier released the following guidelines for safe shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic
Guidelines for safe shopping (Source DHA and DM)
- Use online delivery services wherever possible.
- Strictly avoid grocery shopping if you are sick
- Only go out to buy essential supplies
- Choose the right time to shop
- Go alone for shopping
- Avoid peak and crowded times
- Observe all safety precautions before leaving the house
- Wear gloves and a face mask.
- When shopping in a store, sanitise the handle of shopping cart or shopping basket, and then sanitise your hands.
- Be patient and stay in line to get food items
- Keep a safe distance (not less than two meters) from others
- Avoid touching your face, nose, and mouth before washing your hands.
- Avoid using banknotes, instead use credit/debit cards
- Sanitise the card and hands after making payments.
- Disposing of the shopping bags to avoid the spread of germs
- Sanitise all packaged purchases after reaching home
- Wash hands for 20 seconds with soap and water both after returning home from the supermarket and after handling purchased items
Guidelines for online food delivery (Source DM)
- Choose e-payment
- If e-payment is unavailable, use card payment instead of cash payment
- Avoid receiving orders directly
- Ask delivery service to leave it at the door
- Get rid of the covers and outer boxes
- Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after receiving the order and before eating