Dubai: From October 28, Dubai will transform into an open-air gym.
The Dubai Fitness Challenge (DFC), encourages residents and visitors to complete 30 minutes of exercise each day for 30 days (30X30). The seventh edition of DFC 2023 will feature an several free sporting events and activities that are open to all, regardless of age or fitness level.
Here are all the details you need to participate in the Dubai Fitness Challenge and switch to a more active lifestyle.
What is the Dubai Fitness Challenge?
The Dubai Fitness Challenge is a month-long, city-wide initiative that challenges residents and visitors to commit to 30 minutes of physical activity daily for 30 days (30X30).
The initiative was launched by Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai, in 2017.
The entire city transforms into an open-air gym with free workouts, tournaments, classes and other exciting activities.
When does the Dubai Fitness Challenge take place?
The seventh edition of the Dubai Fitness Challenge will take place from October 28 to November 26, at various locations across the city.
Dubai Run is the world's largest free fun run and one of the most popular Dubai Fitness Challenge events. It will be held as the flagship closing event of Dubai Fitness Challenge, on November 26.
You can choose between two routes – 5km or 10km, both starting near the Museum of the Future. The 5km route is a flat course, suitable for all ages and abilities, passing by Dubai Mall, Dubai Opera and the Burj Khalifa before concluding near Dubai Mall.
The more challenging 10km route starts near Museum of the Future, then loops along Sheik Zayed Road and finishes near Dubai World Trade Centre.
How to regsiter for the Dubai Run
You can regsiter for free online, by following these steps:
• Visit www.dubairun.com, scroll down and click on 'Sign up for Dubai Run Today'.
• Enter email address and click ‘Next’.
• Fill up a registration form with the following details:
- Your name, email address and mobile number.
- Your gender and date of birth.
- Your t-shirt size – you must provide your size to collect the complimentary t-shirt for Dubai Run.
- The emirate you reside in. If you are a visitor, select your country from the drop-down menu.
• Create a password and click ‘Next’.
• Select if you are registering any children by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. If there are children participating the Dubai Run, enter how many runners are between the ages of 13 to 21 or the number of runners under 13 years old.
• Choose your route – 5km or 10km.
• Tick the box stating, “I confirm that all runners are capable of completing the chosen route.”
• Choose your arrival time from the drop-down menu.
• Enter your emergency contact. This should be the number of an adult not participating in the run.
• Click ‘Submit'. You will then receive an email confirming your registration for the Dubai Run.
How do I collect the t-shirt for Dubai Run?
Once you have received your confirmation, you will be invited to collect your bibs and t-shirts from the Dubai Fitness Challenge’s – ‘Run and Ride Central’, located at One Central, located near Dubai World Trade Centre.
You can collect your bib for the Dubai Run from November 12 to November 25. Here are the timings for collecting the bib:
Monday - Friday: 2pm-10pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10am-10pm
The Dubai Ride is the city’s biggest cycling event and will be held on November 12.
Dubai Ride has two cycling routes suitable for riders of all skill levels. The first route is a leisurely 4km family friendly route through Downtown Dubai. The second route is a 12km ride along Sheikh Zayed Road, which temporarily closes to cars exclusively for Dubai Ride participants.
Free fitness classes
Every year, Dubai Fitness Challenge features three fitness villages, which include:
1. DP World Kite Beach Fitness Village
• Monday to Friday: 3pm to 10pm
• Saturday and Sunday: 7am to 10pm
DP World Kite Beach Fitness Village will include over 24 specialised fitness zones, all located in Kite Beach, Jumeirah. The zones will include workouts, yoga sessions and allow visitors to play padel, cricket, football or basketball.
2. RTA Mushrif Park Cycle Centre
• Monday to Friday: 7am to 8am and 4pm to 8.30pm
• Saturday and Sunday: 7am to 10am and 4pm to 10pm
At the RTA Mushrif Park Cycle Centre's Fitness Village you can take part in in a range of cycling activities. This includes mountain bike trails, a pump track, and track cycling. Riders of all ages are encouraged to join and you can bring your own bike, or alternatively opt for the bikes that are available free of charge to use.
There will also be daily guided group bike rides covering various terrains, including mountain bike trails, road tracks, and pump tracks.
- Guided Mountain Bike Trail Rides - A beginner-friendly 5km trail or a more challenging 15km route designed for riders aged 12 and above.
- Daily pump track - Younger cycling enthusiasts between the ages of five to 11 can enjoy the daily pump track with a complimentary bike hire under coach supervision.
- Mushrif Park's Road Tracks - Beginners can take the 5km road track, while the 12km road track provides an intermediate route for more adventurous riders.
3. Run and Ride Central presented by Meraas
• Monday to Friday: 2pm to 10pm
• Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 10pm
The Run and Ride Central is located One Central and is short walk from two metro stations - Emirates Towers and Dubai World Trade Centre on the Red Line. This Fitness Village offers a variety of complimentary classes, ranging from running to workouts like HIIT and Body Combat.
These fitness villages provide easy access to fitness classes and will contain 600 free fitness sessions and many activities through a month-long schedule.
There will also be 25 community fitness hubs across the city, including in Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC), Hatta, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Dubai Police Officers Club, offering free sporting activations and fitness classes.
The fitness hubs will include dedicated workout zones for activities like yoga, Pilates, Spin, and HIIT. These sessions are led by certified instructors who will guide participants through the routines and provide expert advice on staying fit and healthy.