Dubai: Dubai residents who are outside the UAE can return to the emirate by applying for approval from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in Dubai through Emirates airline, Gulf News has learnt.
Dubai’s Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management announced measures on Sunday night to allow citizens and expatriates to travel abroad and for tourists to visit the emirate.
It said more Dubai residents who were stuck overseas when the borders closed on March would begin to return home from Monday.
According to a new update in Emirates airline system, Dubai resident visa holders can get approval as well as book a ticket to Dubai.
However, other visa holders from other emirates still need to get approvals through the Federal Authority of Identity and Citizenship (ICA) before traveling to the UAE.
Dubai residents outside the UAE can go to the airline website and scroll down to ‘Flying you back to Dubai’ window to start the procedure.
“If you are a Dubai resident, contact our call centre to assist with your booking and application for approval to travel or you can complete the application independently on the General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) directly. This link is only accessible outside the UAE,” the airline stated in the window.
The link of GDRFA-Dubai application to submit
GDRFA-Dubai also stated on their website:“For your safety, the application may be rejected for reasons related to precautionary measures. We look forward to your return, and this procedure doesn’t mean that you will not enter the country,” the website said.
If the application is approved, the resident will receive an instant response.
The airline pointed out that Dubai residents outside the UAE can only book their tickets back to Dubai after they receive approval.
How Dubai residents can return to the country
- If you are a Dubai resident, contact our call centre to assist with your booking and application for approval to travel or you can complete the application independently on the General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) website directly. This link is only accessible outside the UAE.
- If your application is approved, you will receive an instant response. If the application can’t be processed, you can try again later.
- Only book your ticket back to Dubai after you have received the approval. During the booking process, you will be asked to enter your Resident File Number.
- Please bring a copy of the GDRFA approval email with you when you travel.
- Every passenger flying to Dubai is required to fill in a health declaration form and the quarantine undertaking form. Both forms need to be printed, completed and handed over to Dubai Health Authority staff on arrival. The quarantine undertaking form will only go into effect if you need to undergo quarantine.
- Upon arrival in Dubai, you are required to take a PCR test and remain in your residence until you receive the test's result. If you are positive for the coronavirus, you will be required to undergo quarantine.
- You must also download the Alhosn COVID-19 app.
- Returning residents must sign a declaration saying that they either have health insurance that covers COVID-19 or will bear any costs for treatment and quarantine if required.
- Source: Emirates airline website