Classifieds powered by Gulf News

UAE rebuffs Qatar’s ‘deportation’ allegations

Memo shows thousands of Qataris were staying in UAE after boycott began

Geneva: The UAE has reiterated its commitment to the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, while refuting Doha’s allegations of mass deportation of Qatari citizens.

The UAE rebuffed Qatari allegations, and referred to the statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on July 5.

It said the country rejects any form of racial discrimination.

The memo included documents that proved thousands of Qataris were staying in the UAE after the boycott began in June last year, and that thousands had been allowed to enter the country in the course of the crisis.

The UAE said Qataris enjoy the same rights in the country as other expatriates, and visitors. It reaffirmed its commitment to the UN system and human rights, and said it works closely with competent committee.

The memo pointed out that the action taken was primarily against the Qatari government’s support of extremism and terrorism as well as against Doha’s policy of trying to destabilise the UAE and other countries in the region.

The UAE said its precautionary measures were not aimed at harming Qatari citizens, who already suffer as a result of their government’s actions.   

Loading...