Dubai: Qatar’s two-year-old crisis with Gulf neighbours should prompt Doha to conduct a “frank revision’ of its policies, Emirati Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said on Friday.
“Reason and logic make it imperative for Shaikh Tamim [Qatar’s emir] to carry out a frank revision and adopt a new approach ending his country’s crisis and return it to its Gulf and Arab surroundings,” Gargash tweeted.
Two years after Qatar’s crisis erupted with four Arab countries, the minister said that “negative” policies pursued by Doha have just deepened the row. He added that the approach has spelt negative consequences for Qatar. “Doha’s active role has suffered due to the [Arab] boycott,” Gargash added in a string of tweets.
In June 2017, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt broke off diplomatic and transportation links with Qatar over its support for extremist groups.
The quartet has set several conditions to mend ties with Qatar, including the emirate’s severance of links with militant and terror groups.
Doha has refused the conditions, saying they violate its sovereignty.
Gargash said that Qatar’s sovereignty is the main casualty of the current crisis.
“In its political decision, Qatar has become hostage to a group of security and economic considerations,” he said.
“The crisis has exposed Doha’s weakness compared to its reality and ambition.”
Earlier this week, hopes faded for an end to the Gulf row after Qatar expressed reservations on a final communique issued by crisis Gulf and Arab summits held in the Saudi city of Makkah on Iran’s regional escalation.
The gatherings stressed Gulf unity and condemned Iran’s meddling in the Arab region.
Iran is a main ally of Qatar.