Classifieds powered by Gulf News

Three jailed in Dubai for hotel gang rape

Defendants were on holiday when they assaulted a drunk woman after picking her up from a nightclub

Gulf News

Dubai: Two brothers and their friend were sentenced to 10 years in jail each for gang-raping a drunk woman in their hotel room.

The three men, who were visiting Dubai on a holiday, took the drunk woman from a nightclub to their hotel room where they molested and raped her in January.

The 33-year-old Moroccan woman had consumed liquor with a female friend at a nightclub when she accepted the three Saudi men’s invite to take her to their hotel room in Al Muraqqabat.

The Saudi trio told the Moroccan that they had liquor and they could go and continue drinking and partying at their hotel room.

Once they reached the room, the quartet drank liquor until the woman went into the bedroom and sat beside one of the men on the bed. Then they molested and raped her.

When they finished, the Saudi trio dressed up and left the room before the woman grabbed her phone wanting to call the police.

The Saudis then returned to the room, pushed the woman away and took the phone from her to prevent her from reporting what had happened to the police and left.

Records showed the woman phoned the reception and asked them to call the police.

All four were taken into custody.

On Wednesday, the Dubai Court of First Instance sentenced the Saudi defendants to 10 years in jail each for gang-raping the woman, forcing her to perform oral sex and stealing her phone.

Presiding judge Fahd Al Shamsi said they will be deported after serving their jail terms.

The trio had pleaded not guilty in court.

The Dubai Misdemeanours Court fined the woman Dh2,000 for consuming alcohol.

The three accused had dismissed the woman’s claims and contended that they had consensual sex and oral sex with the woman.

One of the defence lawyers handed the court a written waiver that his clients had obtained from the Moroccan.

The 33-year-old woman said the incident happened after she accepted the trio’s invitation to their room to consume alcohol.

“My friend refused to join us. We drank alcohol shortly after we arrived at their room … two of them pretended to be fighting in the bedroom and I went inside to check what was happening. They ganged up against me, pinned me down to the bed and one of them placed a pillow over my face to prevent me from shouting. They raped me and two of them forced me to perform oral sex on them. They took away my phone to prevent me from calling the police,” she said.

A policeman testified that the trio were arrested at the hotel.

“The trio returned to the room shortly after they had left because one of them had forgotten something behind. During questioning, they claimed that they had consensual sex with the Moroccan,” he claimed testified.

The primary ruling remains subject to appeal within 15 days.