Cairo: Kuwait has recorded 428 new cases of the novel coronavirus over the past 24 hours, a drop of 198 cases against the tally of the previous day, taking the country’s total infections to 66,957, the Kuwaiti news agency KUNA said Saturday.
The latest cases are 296 Kuwaitis and 132 foreign residents, the Health Ministry’s spokesman Dr Abdullah Al Sanad said.
- Photos: Shoppers throng re-opened malls and shopping centres in Kuwait City
- Photos: Lockdown lifted in Kuwait's Mahboula
- COVID-19: How India plans repatriation of stranded citizens from UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UK and rest of the world
- In pictures: Rafael Nadal launches new tennis academy in Kuwait
All the new cases were in touch with previously infected people or are being investigated for sources of infection and identifying those who were in contact, he added.
Two new deaths from COVID-19 were announced, taking Kuwait’s total such fatalities to 447.
There are 134 patients receiving intensive care treatment, the official added in a media update.
Kuwait’s total virus tests have reached 505,088 so far after 2,920 tests have been done over the past 24 hours, Dr Al Sanad said.
The Health Ministry also reported that 602 more patients have recovered from COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, raising to 57,932 the overall number of recoveries from the disease in Kuwait.
Kuwait has recently eased virus-induced curbs under a phased plan to return to normal life.
On Tuesday, the country began cutting a nighttime curfew to six hours a day while hotels and resorts were reopened. Fifty per cent of government and private sector employees are allowed to report to work.