Riyadh: Iran would face a “very, very strong” response if it closed the vital Strait of Hormuz, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al Jubeir said on Thursday.
His warning comes shortly after the US said that Iran had shot down a US drone in the international airspace over the strait.
“The situation in the region is very dangerous because of Iran’s behaviour,” Al Jubeir said.
Last week, two tankers were attacked in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz. Last month, four commercial ships, including two Saudi oil tankers, were sabotaged off the coast of the United Arab Emirates.
The US has blamed Iran for the attacks.
Al Jubeir cited an increase in the Iranian attacks in the region in recent weeks.
“Saudi Arabia does not want war with Iran. [But] the international community is determined to confront Tehran’s hostile behaviour,” he added.
Al Jubeir, meanwhile, ruled out dialogue with Qatar unless it changes its behaviour.
“We demand Qatar to stop its support for the radical groups and interference in other countries’ affairs,” the Saudi official said. “Patience is running thin with Qatar.”
In June 2017, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt severed diplomatic and transportation links with the tiny Gulf emirate over its sponsorship of militant groups.