The new rule
The Roads and Transport Authority of Dubai (RTA) kicked off a campaign making it mandatory for all motorists to upgrade to the new plates. RTA has requested that all car owners with owned registered number plates from A to Z to upgrade to the new plate design.
Why are we upgrading?
According to an earlier Gulf News report, Sultan Al Marzouqi, director of RTA’s Vehicle Licensing said “the RTA has developed a new strategy for number plates resulting in a new generation of number plates with double codes. This has accordingly resulted in the number plates to be changed to adopt the single and double codes with the same design language.”
How much will it cost to change it?
Depending on the size of the plates and colour of the logo, the prices of the plates vary.
How to change your license plate
Log on traffic.rta.ae and follow the steps.
1. You will need your vehicle details including plate details.
2. Then you can select your style
3. You can add the coloured Dubai logo as well for an extra cost
4. Once you choose your new plates, you then have to select from a list of RTA centres, at which you can go and exchange your current number plate for the new one.
5. Make your payment on directly on the site, depending on which shape and colour you choose.
This guide was published in March 2018 after the initial announcement. Please refer to the recent updates for deadline changes initiated by RTA