500gm flank steak
Chimichurri (recipe below)
50gm green olives
50gm green capsicum
50gm white onion
50gm sundried tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
A pinch of smoked paprika
35gm chilli flakes
60gm garlic, chopped
30gm dry oregano
3gm olive oil
80gm white vinegar
For the dough
3 cups all-purpose flour
A pinch of salt
170gm butter, cubed
1/4 to 1/2 cup of water (water needs to be adjusted to obtain a soft and smooth dough)
1. To make the dough, add the flour, salt and butter into a food processor and pulse until half incorporated.
2. Add the egg and the water until a clumpy dough forms.
3. Remove from food processor and mix by hand until smooth.
4. Cut in half and rest for 30 minutes.
5. Roll the dough into a thin sheet and cut out with a round disc (if you don’t have one, use a small plate for shaping and a knife for cutting). Once cut, you can either use the dough immediately, store it in the refrigerator for 2 days, or freeze in a sealed container and use for up to a month.
Tip: For the best results, refrigerate the stuffed empanada for 30 minutes to allow the dough to set with the filling so it does not lose its shape
6. To make the chimichurri, wash the parsley and dry in the lettuce spinner until water is fully removed. Finely chop the parsley leaves, and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Rectify seasoning once it has settled for one day. Marinate the flank steak in the chimichurri, add freshly ground salt and pepper on top and grill until medium. Remove from the heat and dice to desired size.
7. Dice the capsicum and onion evenly so the cooking time is same. Add oil to a preheated pan, and cook the capsicum with the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook through, then add paprika.
8. Chop the olives and sundried tomatoes. Before the meat gets dry, add the sundried tomatoes and cook for just under a minute. Add the green olives, stir to mix, and set aside to cool.
9. Once the mixture cools down, spoon portions into each dough round. Fold and crimp the edges for a decorative edge.
10. Brush with egg yolk and bake at 180C for about 7-10 minutes until dough is cooked and crispy. Serve warm.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at email@example.com