Thiruvananthapuram: The death of a 22-year-old man who travelled from abroad to Thrissur on July 22, has now been confirmed as the first monkeypox casualty in India, Kerala health authorities said on Monday.
The samples were sent to NIV Pune and the results came out positive on Monday.
The man died on Sunday. Soon the health authorities swung into action and started preparing a detailed contact list after his arrival at the Kozhikode airport.
Four of his friends and family members had received him at the airport.
The next day he was out playing football with his friends. On July 27, he collapsed and was taken to a local clinic and from there he was moved to a hospital, where he was undergoing treatement and died on Sunday.
The health department has already started getting in touch with all those who came in contact with the man.
The health officials are also finding out if any information was withheld. State Revenue Minister K. Rajan, who hails from Trissur, said so far 21 people have been identified as primary contacts and have been isolated.
“So far, there have been no reports of any primary contacts having any issues. However the health officials are leaving nothing to chance and a high alert is on,” said Rajan.