As the world wakes up to the news about the passing of India's First Lady Suvra Mukherjee, we take a quick look at some facts about her.
1. She was the First Lady of India and was married to current Indian President Pranab Mukherjee.
2. They married on 13 July 1957 – 10 years after India gained independence from the British.
3. Suvra Mukherjee was an immigrant and was born and raised in Narail in Bangladesh.
4. She emigrated across the border from Bangladesh to Kolkata, India when she was only 10 years old.
5. She has two sons and one daughter with her husband Pranab Mukherjee.
6. She was suffering from cancer for the past few years, but was admitted to hospital for respiratory problems a few days before she died.
7. She was also a heart patient.
8. Despite her being admitted to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital, her condition
was reported to be stable.
9. She died on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 10.51am in India’s Capital New Delhi.
10. She was 74 years old.