Image Credit: Istock

It is often the case that either the husband or wife is the only earning working member while residing in Dubai. This guide will detail exactly how you can apply to sponsor your spouse and get a residency visa for them as well.

Note: This is an informative guide and should only be taken as such. For any individual queries, contact the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Dubai or GDRFA. Gulf News holds no responsibility for any misinterpretations, change in processes or amendments to the law.

Salary limits

Husband sponsoring wife

For a husband to sponsor his wife and children, he needs to be earning Dh3,000 plus accommodation, or Dh4,000 without accommodation. 

Wife sponsoring husband (basic category)

For a wife to sponsor her husband and children, she should be earning Dh3,000 plus accommodation, or Dh4,000 without accommodation - if she is a teacher, doctor, engineer, nurse or in any medical sector-role. 

This needs to be verified with GDRFA on individual queries as the approvals can differ from case to case. 

Wife sponsoring husband (other category)

For women who work in other categories, a special request needs to be submitted to General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Dubai (GDRFA or DNRD) for approval, after which the processes are the same. The salary limit in this case usually starts at Dh8,000 with accommodation, but this needs to be verified with GDRFA as the approvals are given on a case to case basis. 

Also see our guide on how to sponsor your parents in Dubai

Documents required

- Typed application form

- Salary certificate and attested work contracts

- 3 months bank statement for long-time residents (New residents can submit 1 month bank statement and bank letter confirming salary transfer)

- Attested tenancy contract, Emirates ID card and labour contract of sponsor/labour card

- Marriage certificate that has been attested by UAE authorities (married in the UAE or in home country)

- Passports, original and copies, of both sponsor and family member/s.

- Medical check-up report of spouse or children over 15 years of age from authorized hospital/clinic.

- 3 passport photos of spouse and family member/s

- For women: Approval from GDRFA in case of the other category of employment.


- Go to a typing centre with copies of all relevant documents and get a typed-up application form. It will cost around Dh310 per family member, not inclusive of typing charges. 

- Submit the application form, copy of entry visa (tourist or visit), medical certificate and all other documents at the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs Dubai (GDRFA) to get the visa approved. 

- If your spouse is not in the country at the time of application, he or she has to complete medical tests, visa stamping and Emirates ID procedures within 60 days from the date of entry as given in the entry permit. 

- If your spouse is in the country, he or she need not exit the country. Expect to pay around Dh510 (not including typing) to change the status of the visa from temporary to residency without leaving the UAE, after completing all required procedures. 

- All dependents now need basic medical insurance according to UAE Law, so get documents sorted for that as well.