Trust Koreans to turn a simple bowl of rice into something so spectacular that it becomes one of the first dishes you think of, when you think of Korean cuisine. I am talking about bibimbap - that colourful Korean rice dish with marinated beef, seasoned sautéed vegetables, kimchi, and the signature fried egg on top. Mix it all up for a delicious mix that makes for a wholesome balanced meal.
The chefs at Social House, a restaurant in Dubai Mall offering cuisines from around the world, adapted this recipe and gave it a Japanese twist. Instead of the traditionally used gochujang chilli paste and kimchi, they created a bibimbap recipe that uses a Java curry base and braised beef short ribs.
Ashok Lama, Chef de partie at Social House, explained how to recreate the recipe at home.
For 1 serving of Bibimbap:
300 gms basmati rice or plump sticky rice (Japanese or Korean)
20 gms butter
25 gms fresh carrot for mirepoix size
25 gms white onions for mirepoix size
3 gms Hondashi powder (soup stock)
150 gms Soho braised beef
250 gms Java curry sauce
50gms sesame oil
For Java Curry Sauce:
400 gms Java curry sauce mix
7.5 gms Togarashi-7 spice mix
12 gms granulated sugar
900 ml water
For braising the beef (larger quanity to make in advance)
1.5 kgs beef rib piece
1 white onion
75 gms fresh carrot
75 gms celery stick
9 gms fresh leek
10 gm salt
75 gm crushed black pepper
45 gm Galbi marinate
7.5 gms Dijon mustard
7.5 gm fresh rosemary
7.5 gms fresh thyme
750 ml water
To marinate the beef:
1. Chop the vegetables roughly. In a tray, add salt, crushed black pepper, galbi or Korean barbecue sauce, dijon mustard, rosemary, thyme and water. Place the beef ribs in the center so it soaks up the flavours. Add the roughly chopped vegetables.
2. Marinate overnight or for 6-8 hours in the chiller.
To braise the beef:
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Bake the beef at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 4 hours.
To make the rice mix
1. Pre-heat the pot, add water and java curry mix.
2. Add the Togarashi seven-spice chilli, sugar. Cook well.
3. Pre heat pan add butter and onion, carrot and shallow fry add java curry, Hondashi powder, cooked rice, spring onion, and sauté until golden brown.
To serve: In a warm bowl, add sesame oil and place the cooked Bibimbap rice.
Heat the braised short rib in 2 tablespoons of the cooked java curry, place it on the rice and garnish with spring onions.