USS Abraham Lincoln sails home after 9 grueling months disrupted by Hormuz tensions

Dubai: The Middle East remained tense on Friday as pressure on Iran intensified, Hezbollah rejected fresh US sanctions and Israel carried out a new strike in southern Lebanon. Iran called for an end to the months-long war, while China opposed further sanctions and regional airlines continued to adjust flights amid ongoing security concerns.
Get updated faster and for FREE: Download the Gulf News app now - simply click here.
Here are the key developments from across the region:
Hezbollah said on Friday that new US sanctions would not deter its resistance against Israel, after Washington accused the group of operating in the service of Iran.
The US Treasury Department also sanctioned 10 people allegedly involved in a network transferring cash to Hezbollah. The group said the measures would not stop it from defending Lebanon’s land, sovereignty and resources.
An Israeli air strike targeted a house on the outskirts of Baraachit in southern Lebanon’s Bint Jbeil district, Lebanon’s National News Agency reported.
The strike came amid continued tensions along the Lebanon-Israel border, with the latest development adding to concerns over renewed escalation in the region.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Friday that it was time to end the months-long war with the United States, arguing that Tehran was in a position of strength.
His comments came as Iran’s Foreign Ministry accused Washington of “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity” over its latest sanctions push.
US President Donald Trump has promised an “economic D-Day” against Tehran, with Washington preparing an expanded campaign of financial pressure aimed at cutting Iran’s remaining sources of revenue.
The move follows months of air strikes, threats of further military action and faltering diplomatic efforts. The latest escalation raises a key question: is Washington’s economic offensive aimed at bringing the war closer to an end, or opening a new phase of the conflict?
China said US “sanctions and pressure” would not resolve the Middle East conflict after Washington urged governments, including Beijing, to help isolate Iran’s economy.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian called for the parties to take responsible measures and resolve the conflict through political and diplomatic means.
The USS Abraham Lincoln has begun its journey back to San Diego after nearly nine months at sea, with the crew facing a 13,000-mile journey expected to take about a month.
A retired US Navy rear admiral described the return as a “huge sense of relief” for the crew after repeated delays to their expected return.
Airlines operating from the UAE continued to report cancellations, delays and schedule changes on Friday as carriers monitor the wider regional security situation.
Etihad Airways cancelled a Tel Aviv-Abu Dhabi flight following unplanned industrial action at Ben Gurion International Airport.
Emirates cancelled two Dubai-Bahrain services, while Air Arabia cancelled flights connecting the UAE with Kuwait and Bahrain.
flydubai said services to Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia were operating as scheduled, although several other flights had been cancelled.
Follow our live coverage for the latest developments in the Middle East.
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox
Network Links
GN StoreDownload our app
© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2026. All rights reserved.