Carse is part of England’s squad for the second Test against Pakistan at Lord’s

England fast bowler Brydon Carse is under investigation by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after footage emerged appearing to show him in handcuffs outside a nightclub in Derby on Saturday night.
The footage circulating on social media shows Carse surrounded by police officers with his hands behind his back. A Durham teammate can be seen speaking to him, while England Test captain Ben Stokes and Matthew Potts also briefly appear in the background.
The ECB has confirmed it is investigating the incident.
“We are aware of an incident which is reported to have taken place in Derby last night, and are currently investigating,” the ECB said in a statement. “We will provide a further update when possible.”
Reports indicate that Carse was briefly detained and later released without charge. The circumstances that led to the police intervention remain unclear.
Carse was in Derby after helping Durham beat Derbyshire by 338 runs in the County Championship. The fast bowler claimed two wickets in the match, while Stokes took five for 17 as Durham completed a dominant three-day victory. Durham players were subsequently reported to have gone out to celebrate the win.
The incident could prove significant for Carse, who is part of England’s squad for the second Test against Pakistan at Lord’s. He was released from England duty to play for Durham after being left out of the XI for the first Test at Headingley.
Carse was England’s leading wicket-taker during the Ashes but has been sidelined for much of the season because of injury. His involvement in the latest incident comes amid increased scrutiny of England players’ conduct away from the field.
Earlier this summer, Stokes and England seamer Gus Atkinson were investigated by the ECB after they were present at the Rex Rooms nightclub in Chelsea following England’s first Test against New Zealand at Lord’s. The pair breached the team’s midnight curfew, while an altercation involving a Saracens rugby player took place at the venue.
The ECB later concluded that Stokes was not involved in the altercation and had not witnessed it. Both Stokes and Atkinson were cleared of serious wrongdoing but received written warnings over their conduct and breach of team protocols.
Stokes has previously acknowledged cricket’s long-standing relationship with alcohol. Speaking on the For the Love of Cricket podcast this month, he said the sport’s drinking culture had remained despite the game becoming increasingly professional.
Network Links
GN StoreDownload our app
© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2026. All rights reserved.