1. Dissolve yeast in half a cup of warm water. Mix flour and salt and sift through a fine sieve.
2. Add the remaining water and the dissolved yeast mixture and whisk it well. The batter should have the consistency of a slightly thinner bread dough.
3. Add a little water if required to make it thinner. Cover the mixture and leave to stand in a warm place for 6 to 10 hours.
4. Heat sunflower oil in a deep pan and drop in teaspoonful of the dough mix.
5. When the balls rise to the surface and are browned all over, remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to allow the excess oil to be absorbed. Pour the syrup over them and serve warm.
Recipe courtesy: Chef Harald Oberender, Dubai World Trade Centre
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at email@example.com