300 gms ribeye of beef
10 gms maldon sea salt
10 gms freshly ground black pepper
90 gms kimchi
100 gms salted butter
60 gms fish sauce (anchovy or shrimp)
100 gms garnish kimchi
3 gms chives - finely chopped
2 gms toasted white sesame seeds
1. To make the butter, in a food processor, add the kimchi and pulse until finely pureed.
2. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and press down hard to release as much of the liquid as possible.
3. Once well-drained, fold the kimchi puree into the softened butter with a wooden spoon or spatula until evenly incorporated.
4. If the butter mixture is too sticky – add some of the reserved kimchi juice, about a tablespoon a time. Taste the butter and season with salt as required. Also, add the fish sauce and mix.
5. First grill the steak on charcoal (robata), then baste with butter and sear in a frying pan for the flavours to soak through. This is according to your preferences, and the chef’s recommendation is medium doneness – 5-6 minutes on the grill, followed by resting time to let the juices reabsorb for at least 5 minutes and a quick sear on the pan.
6. Once it has reached the desired level of doneness, allow to rest.
7. Slice into 1cm thick slices for ease of eating, spoon over the excess kimchi butter and finely sprinkle Maldon salt over the top.
8. Garnish with kimchi, finely chopped chives and toasted white sesame seeds and serve for an at-home fine dining experience.
Tell us about your favourite recipes or dishes at email@example.com