1.5kg tomatoes, peeled, drained, deseeded and halved, or tinned tomatoes
100gm of butter
80gm onion, thinly sliced
Pinch or two of saffron
Pinch or two of cayenne
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted for garnish
1. Put the tomatoes, butter, onions, saffron, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large, wide sauce pan.
2. Boil covered for 40-50 minutes over medium heat or until the tomatoes have reduced and become very concentrated. Pour in the honey and cook for two minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper and cinnamon.
For the garnish:
1. Toast the sesame seeds. Dry-fry in a nonstick pan for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
2. Place the well-chilled tomato mixture on a serving platter and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Serve.
Refrigerate in an airtight container to use for 7-10 days.
Image courtesy: Pixabay
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at email@example.com