750gm aubergines, baby or oval
1 tbsp butter or oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp butter
200gm mince lamb
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 ½ cups hot water
5 tbsp (75gm )tomato paste
½ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp black pepper
2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200⁰C / 400⁰F. Peel strips of skin of the aubergines if preferred, leaving the neck of the aubergines on. Heat some of the butter or oil in a pan and fry the aubergines until lightly browned, then lift out and set aside.
2. Stuffing: heat the butter in the same pan, add the onions and fry them until brown. Add the minced meat, season with the cumin, allspice, salt and pepper then add the pine nuts. Slice open the aubergines and fill them with the meat and onion mixture. Place them in an ovenproof pot or dish.
3. Heat water in a separate pot and add the tomato paste. Let it boil and carefully pour it over the stuffed aubergines.
4. Season with salt and both peppers.
5. Top each aubergine with a slice of tomato, then place in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or cook on a low heat until aubergine is just tender (al dente) but not soft.
Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Tell us about your favourite recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org