For the chicken
3 1/2 tbsp home-made bezar spice
1 lemon, juiced
Saffron, a few strands
1 large chicken, cut into pieces
2 1/2 litres hot water
1/2 tbsp turmeric
For the sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbsp home-made bezar spice
1/4 tbsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardamom pods
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
For the rice
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp home-made bezar spice
1 tbsp rose water
1. Mix together 2 tbsp bezar spice, lemon juice and saffron strands. Rub the mixture over the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, put the chicken in a pan with hot water, turmeric and remaining bezar spice. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. To prepare rice, boil it in a large pan with the chicken stock until cooked. Drizzle with the olive oil.
4. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Reserve the stock for the rice (it should be about 2 litres).
5. To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions until golden brown. Add garlic, ginger and chillies and sauté until softened and a little brown.
6. Add all the spices and sultanas. Sauté over low heat for 3 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and continue cooking over a low heat for 1 minute. Add chicken and season.
8. Spoon the chicken and sauce over the rice, cover and let it cook for 10 minutes over a low heat.
9. When ready to serve, garnish with bezar spice, coriander and sprinkle with rose water.
Recipe courtesy: Chef Silvena Rowe