1kg pumpkin, split in half and deseeded
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
800ml chicken stock
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp clove powder
1/2 tsp allspice
Toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish
Chopped coriander, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the pumpkin, flesh side up, on a baking sheet and rub with the butter. Sprinkle with sugar and roast for about 30 minutes or until tender. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook over a low heat until soft but not coloured, about 5 minutes. Add the roasted pumpkin flesh and continue to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to turn golden brown.
3. Add the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper and add cinnamon, clove and allspice powders. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes until the pumpkin is very soft.
4. Add the milk and bring back to the boil. Purée with a hand blender and then sieve for a velvety consistency.
5. Reheat the soup and ladle into bowls. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and coriander and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy: Chef Tarek Ibrahim
Image and recipe: GN Archives
Tell us about your favourite dishes and recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org