5 large egg whites, at room temperature
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour or corn starch
1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
300ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 fresh figs, quartered
12 strawberries, halved or quartered
3 redcurrant sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to 130°C and line a baking tray with silicone paper.
2. Whip egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric whisk until stiff peaks form. Add sugar, a spoonful at a time, with the beaters still running, and continue to whisk until the mixture is very thick and shiny.
3. Slake the cornflour with vinegar, then pour into the egg mixture in a thin, steady stream while you whisk.
4. Spoon the meringue on the baking tray and make a ring of peaks around the outside. Bake the pavlova for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave it to cool completely.
5. Whip the cream with icing sugar and vanilla until it holds its shape. Spoon over the meringue and arrange the fruit on top.
6. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org