4 medium red onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped ginger
1 medium green chilli, deseeded and chopped
6-8 sprigs coriander, finely chopped
10 curry leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted and crushed
100gm gram flour
50gm rice flour
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground red chilli
2 tbsp chaat masala
Oil for deep-frying
1. In a bowl, add the onions, ginger, green chilli, coriander and curry leaves. Add salt and mix well.
2. Add the caraway and coriander seeds. Mix well. Add the two flours and the ground spices. Season.
3. Heat oil (150°C) in a frying pan. Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the oil, without overcrowding the pan. Fry until slightly coloured. Drain on paper towels.
4. Deep-fry the pakoras again at 170°C (a drop of batter should sizzle and then float) to get the right golden brown colour. Remove and drain.
5. Sprinkle with chaat masala, fresh coriander and serve hot.
Recipe and image courtesy: Naya, Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org