500 gms whole chicken with bone
2 white onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves
A pinch of organic saffron
1 tbsp preserved lemon
2 tbsp Moroccan spices (a blend made using equal proportions of brown sugar, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper)
1 tbsp Moroccan ghee or smen (you can substitute this with regular clarified butter)
200 ml chicken stock
10 gms olives
For the gravy:
2 tbsp Moroccan spices
1 white onion
100 gms coriander leaves, chopped
25 ml olive oil
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Moroccan ghee
100 gms chicken bones
1 tbsp preserved lemons
4 to 5 garlic cloves
1. In a large bowl, combine all the spices and coat the chicken with the spices and half the amount of chopped onions.
2. Once coated, place the chicken on a tray and top it off with the remaining marinade and preserved lemons. Keep aside.
3. For the sauce: In a hot pot, add grated onion, chicken bones, ghee, olive oil, salt and coriander. Let it cook slowly.
4. Add extra one teaspoon of Moroccan spices to the chicken stock and let it continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken bones and strain the stock.
5. Next, deep fry the chicken at 180C.
6. To serve, plate the sauce at the base of the tagine pot. Place the chicken on top of the sauce with preserved lemons and garnish with fresh coriander and olives.
7. Serve and enjoy!