1. Cook the macaroni as per instructions on the packet. Allow to stand.
2. Prepare the breadcrumbs: separate crusts from the bread and tear the crusts into tiny crumbs.
Melt butter in a shallow pan and sift the crumbs in, crisping them for 2-4 minutes while stirring frequently to ensure they turn a golden brown evenly.
3. Make a white sauce with the butter, flour, seasonings and milk. Stir in 100gm cheese.
4. Thoroughly drain the fully cooked macaroni and return to the casserole. Stir in the cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and crisp breadcrumbs.
5. Reheat on medium high for around 3-6 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at email@example.com