For the marinade
2 litres plain yoghurt
100gm garlic, mashed
200gm onions, peeled and sliced
6 tbsp ground nutmeg
3 tsp salt
6 tbsp ground white pepper
1 whole lamb, about 12-14kg, or lamb legs or shank
For the rice
250ml vegetable oil
150gm pine nuts
200gm onions, peeled and chopped
2kg minced lamb
3kg long grain rice, washed and drained
6l water or lamb stock
5 tbsp ground allspice
5 tbsp ground nutmeg
5 tbsp ground cinnamon
5 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp ground white pepper
3 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl, mix together the yoghurt, garlic, onions, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Rub all over the lamb and leave to marinate overnight or ideally for 24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the lamb from the marinade and place on a baking tray. Cover with foil and cook for 3 hours.
3. To make the rice, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Fry the nuts until they turn golden brown and are roasted. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add more oil to the pan, then add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
5. Add the minced lamb and fry until cooked. Add the rice, water or stock, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. Stir well, season with salt and bring to a boil.
6. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer on very low heat for 20-30 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in half the nuts.
8. To serve, empty the rice on to a large platter and place the roasted lamb on top. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts. Carve at the table.
9. Tip To get a nice glaze and pack in more flavour, baste the lamb properly every hour or so during the roasting.
Recipe courtesy: Rober Salloum, Fairmont The Palm
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org