246 gms all-purpose flour
4.5 gms baking soda
1 gm salt
2.5 gms cinnamon powder
121 gms sugar
80 gms brown sugar
300 gms kabocha puree ( or canned pumpkin puree)
144 gms apple sauce
140 gms corn oil
40 gms dried cranberry
35 gms pumpkin seed
For miso Ice cream
198 gms coconut cream
55 gms maple syrup
19 gms miso paste
For maple cream
150 gms coconut cream
33 gms maple syrup
For cranberry compote
235 gms dried cranberry
225 gms cranberry juice
68 gms sugar
Juice and zest from 1 orange
13 gms cornstarch
15 gms water
1. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, sugar and brown sugar in a stand mixture.
2. Using the paddle attachment mix at a low setting for 30 seconds.
3. Stop the mixer and add the kabocha puree, apple sauce, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are combined.
4. While the mixer is running slowly add the corn oil until it is all mixed in.
5. Add the batter to an oiled pound cake pan and bake at 162 degrees Celsius for 50 min. Check the inside with a wooden stick to see if it is done.
6. Let the cake cool and unmould once it reaches room temperature.
To make the kabocha puree
1. Peel the kabocha squash
2. Steam at 95 degree Celsius for 30 minutes until soft.
3. Use a food processor to blend until smooth. Once blended strain through a fine mesh sieve.
To make miso ice cream
1. Using a blender, combine all ingredient together and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
2. Add the mixture to an ice cream machine and mix until the mixture becomes ice cream.
3. Remove and store in the freezer.
To make maple cream
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix until well incorporated. Add to a siphon and charge with 2 chargers. Store in the refrigerator.
To make cranberry compote
1. In a sauce pan add all ingredients and cook over medium heat constantly stirring until mixture starts to boil.
2. Lower the heat to low and simmer until cranberries soften
3. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Once at room temperature store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To plate: Place 1 slice of kabocha cake, cranberry compote, maple cream, miso ice cream. For this recipe just have fun. Layer all the ingredients any way you like and enjoy!
This article was first published in November, 2021.