250 gm split green gram (moong dal)
200gm coconut, freshly grated
3 tbsp ghee (50ml) or clarified butter
¼ cup (30gm) cashew nuts
100gm jaggery or soft, dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
Hot garnish (tempering):
¼ cup (30gm) cashew nuts, crushed coarsely
2-3 tbsp raisins
1. Heat half the clarified butter or ghee in a non-stick pan. Add the split green gram, coconut and cashew nuts. Stir continuously to roast until a little colour develops. Add the freshly grated coconut and stir for a minute.
Blend to make a paste:
2. Remove from the heat. Place all the roasted ingredients in a food processor to blend into a fine paste. Keep aside.
3. To make the jaggery syrup, dissolve jaggery in a little water and strain. Boil to make a thick syrup. Add the reserved ground paste, coconut and cardamom to the jaggery syrup. Cook until it attains a fondue like consistency. Pour into bowl.
For the hot garnish:
4. In a separate pan, saute raisins and the remaining crushed cashew nuts in ghee.
5. Garnish the payasam with cashew nuts and raisins.
Tell us about your favourite dishes or recipes at firstname.lastname@example.org