2 white bread slices
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg minced beef
2 tsp curry powder (any brand)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs (rosemary, oregano and thyme)
2 tbsp sultanas
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Soak the bread slices in cold water and set aside.
3. Fry the onions in the butter, stirring for 10 minutes until they soften and start to colour. Add the garlic and beef and stir well until the minced beef is crushed into fine grains and changes colour. Add the curry powder, mixed herbs, cloves, sultanas and bay leaves. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Squeeze the water from the bread. Knead the bread into the meat mixture well. Pour this into an ovenproof tray. Press the mixture down and smoothen out the top.
5. To make the topping, beat the milk and eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour the mixture over the meat and bake for 10 minutes until cooked and the topping starts to turn golden brown.
7. Garnish with bay leaves and serve with steak fries and salsa.
Recipe courtesy: Robin Gomes, Executive Chef, The Huddle Sports Bar & Grill, Citymax Bur Dubai
Image courtesy: Anandita Mankodi