world / saudi

Saudi Arabia: Four COVID-19 deaths, 96 new coronavirus cases

Saudi Arabia has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the Gulf region

A Saudi man, wearing a protective mask as a precaution against COVID-19 coronavirus disease, walks past a mural showing the face of King Salman bin Abdulaziz, along Tahlia street in the centre of the capital Riyadh
Image Credit: AFP
Staff Writer

Dubai: Saudi Arabia on Sunday reported another four death cases from the novel coronavirus, taking to eight the total number of deaths in the Kingdom, according to the Ministry of Health, Al Arabiya reported.

The Ministry also announced 96 more cases infected with coronavirus, taking to 1299 the total number of cases in the country.

A total of 68 cases are linked to having a close contact with previously confirmed patients, the ministry further said, adding that there are now 12 cases in critical health conditions but are receiving all necessary healthcare required.

The ministry also reported 28 new recoveries, bringing the tally of recovered patients to 66, thanking all medical cadres for their strenuous efforts to treat patients and combat the spread of coronavirus.

It lauded all endeavours being made by the government in the fight against Covid-19, emphasising they are effective.

Calling on people to stay at home, the ministry advised the public to avoid spreading rumours and to take information from official sources only.

For its part, the Ministry of Interior lauded people’s commitment to the curfew, noting it will have zero tolerance against all violators who share videos playing down the curfew.

Earlier today, residents in Saudi Arabia were banned from entering or exiting Riyadh, Mecca and Medina as of Thursday, according to new coronavirus prevention measures approved by King Salman bin Abdulaziz.

King Salman also approved a measure that bans residents in the Kingdom’s 13 regions from traveling between different areas.

In a larger effort to contain the spread of the deadly virus, the recently imposed curfew will begin at 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m. in the three cities of Riyadh, Mecca and Medina as of Thursday, according to a statement by the Ministry of Interior.

The ministry said curfew exemptions still apply to those in vital public and private sectors such as security, military and media. Those who work in health services are also excluded from the curfew.