Riyadh: Saudi government TV said on Wednesday that a court has issued verdicts in the kingdom's first known terrorism trial for accused Al Qaida militants.
The kingdom has pursued an aggressive campaign against militants since May 2003, when they first began attacks in the kingdom.
But legal proceedings in this case did not start until last year.
Interior Minister Prince Nayef announced then that 991 suspected militants had been charged with participating in terrorist attacks over the past five years.
It was not clear before Wednesday's announcement that the trials had began.
Al Ekhbariya TV said the defendants were accused of belonging to Al Qaida and supporting terrorism. It did not give details on the verdicts.
The defendants can appeal.
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox
Network Links
GN StoreDownload our app
© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2026. All rights reserved.