The quantum of punishment will be pronounced by the Court on Monday

Kolkata: A court in Kolkata found Sanjay Roy guilty on Saturday of the rape and murder of a trainee doctor at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital. Justice Anirban Das pronounced the verdict, with sentencing scheduled for Monday.
The court stated that Sections 64, 66, and 103/1 of the BNS have been applied to the accused. The charge states that Roy entered the hospital's seminar room, where he assaulted and murdered the doctor.
Roy pleaded his innocence, telling the court, "I have not done this. Those who have done this are being let go. I have been falsely implicated." He added, "I always wear a chain of rudraksh on my neck. If I committed the crime, my chain would have been broken at the scene. I couldn't have committed this crime."
Justice Das remanded Roy to judicial custody until Monday's sentencing hearing, set for 12:30 PM.
The case, involving the discovery of the trainee doctor's body in the hospital's seminar room on August 9, sparked widespread protests. Roy, a civic volunteer at the hospital, was subsequently arrested.
In a separate case from November of the previous year, the CBI filed a chargesheet regarding financial irregularities at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital.
The chargesheet named Sandip Ghosh, Dr. Ashish Kumar Pandey, Biplab Singha, Suman Hazra, and Afsar Ali Khan for alleged financial misconduct following a Calcutta High Court order. Sandip Ghosh was also questioned in connection with the murder case, and the CBI conducted polygraph tests on him.
A delay in filing the chargesheet led to bail being granted to some accused, including Abhijit Mondal and Sandip Ghosh.
Earlier on Saturday, the deceased doctor's father told ANI that the court would determine the appropriate punishment. He asserted that the family would continue to seek justice.
"Not just one, but the DNA report shows the presence of four boys and one girl. We will feel some relief when the accused are punished. Until we get justice, we will keep knocking on the doors of the court and will also seek the support of the people of the country," he said.
He also alleged CBI inaction, stating, "The CBI has done nothing in this matter. There is no question of satisfaction here. We have raised several questions before the High Court and the Supreme Court. We have sought answers from the court itself. We did not seek answers from the CBI, but the court assigned all responsibility to the CBI."
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox
Network Links
GN StoreDownload our app
© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2026. All rights reserved.