Abu Sayyaf spokesman Abu Sabaya has threatened to kill the two American hostages held by the group since May 27 following the refusal of the government to formally assign a negotiator for their release from the hinterlands of Basilan, southern Philippines.
Abu Sayyaf spokesman Abu Sabaya has threatened to kill the two American hostages held by the group since May 27 following the refusal of the government to formally assign a negotiator for their release from the hinterlands of Basilan, southern Philippines.
"There will be no more negotiations. It is up to the government to find the two (Americans). To find their dead bodies," said Sabaya in a radio interview that reached Manila.
The group refused to release Martin and Gracia Burnham who were abducted in Dos Palmas resort in Palawan, southwestern Philippines on May 27, and nurse Deborah Yap in Lamitan, Basilan on June 2.
Sabaya reiterated his group's threat aired over TV and radio stations every time the government refused its demand.
The Abu Sayyaf has killed several Filipino hostages, including American Guillermo Sobero who was also kidnapped together with the Burnham couple in Palawan last year.
Last Tuesday, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo rejected Sabaya's offer of "last deal" for the Arroyo also refused to name former negotiator William Castillo who had held talks with the group for the release of the 20 tourists who were held from Dos Palmas Hotel in Palawan last year.
Arroyo reportedly refused the offer of Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Governor Parouk Hussin who was also preferred by Sabaya when he gave a list of negotiators his group wanted to deal with, a source said.
Arroyo did not send Presidential Adviser on Special Concern Norberto Gonzales to talk with the Abu Sayyaf, despite the latter's success in negotiating with the Pentagon gang for the release of Italian Priest Guiseppe Pierantoni in Zamboanga del Sur last month, the same source said.
Malaysian Prime Minister Mohammed Mahathir had also refused the Abu Sayyaf's request for two former Malaysian senators as negotiators for the release of the three hostages.
The Abu Sayyaf has been seeking to be recognised with a formal negotiation, after it kidnapped more than 20 mostly foreign hostages in Sipadan, Malaysia last April 23, 2000. At that time, the group had abducted 20 other hostages in Jolo from July to August.
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox
Network Links
GN StoreDownload our app
© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2026. All rights reserved.