1 plump chicken, weighing about 1,300gm with the wings cut off
2 tbsp margarine
3 ½ cups of boiling water
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp mixed spices
200gm chicken liver, finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp mixed spices
½ tsp salt
Rice: 2 cups long grain rice, soaked for 2 hours ½ tsp salt
Sauce: 1 tsp margarine, 1 tsp flour, ½ tsp ground cumin
1. The stuffing: Mix all ingredients for stuffing together, fill the cavity of the chicken, then truss and sew the open end with needle and thread. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat the margarine in the oven for 2 minutes in a deep bowl large enough for the chicken. Remove and place the chicken in the bowl, breast upward after turning to cover evenly with margarine. Cook at high for 30 to 33 minutes. Turn the chicken from time to time.
3. Add the salt, ground cumin and the mixed spices to the boiling water, mix and pour over the chicken. Microwave at HIGH for 25 to 28 minutes. Halfway through the cooking, skim the surface of the stock.
4. The rice: Take 2 cups of hot chicken stock and stir in the rice. Microwave uncovered at high for 5 minutes. Stir, cover, and microwave at medium high for further 8 minutes. If water is fully absorbed before rice is done, add 1/2 cup of stock and microwave for 1-2 minutes longer.
5. The Sauce: Place margarine in microwave at high for 30 seconds, still in the flour, mix well and gradually pour on the remaining hot chicken stock while stirring until smooth, microwave at medium for 3 minutes.
6. To serve: Carefully remove the thread from the chicken and spoon out the stuffing. Serve with the rice and the chicken divided into serving pieces. The sauce is served hot on the side, along with yoghurt at room temperature.
Tell us about your favourite recipes at email@example.com