Dubai: A man has been accused of abusing a pregnant woman on a Dubai Metro train.
The Dubai Court of First Instance heard on Monday that the 31-year-old Egyptian woman, a housewife, was at a Metro station in March 2020, heading towards Al Garhoud, when her countryman touched her from behind inside a train compartment.
- Eid Al Adha 2020: See how UAE residents get into the festive mood
- UAE public holidays: How many days off do we have left in 2020?
- UAE: Reader tries to cancel credit card, bank asks him to pay extra annual fee of Dh1,500
- Photos: Gulf News readers share pictures of the beautiful mosques in the UAE
- Weather update in pictures: Haze and dust blur the UAE skyline
- Photos: How UAE residents celebrated Eid Al Adha
“I was standing as there were no vacant seats. I felt someone behind me. I saw the defendant standing close to me despite there being enough room. I moved forward, but he touched me again,” said the victim on record.
She said the defendant repeated the offence three times when she finally yelled at him.
“As soon as the train reached the next station he escaped. I tried to chase him, but I was tired as I was pregnant. He intended to abuse me.”
The woman reported the incident to Dubai Police who identified the 33-year-old Egyptian defendant and arrested him inside the Metro station.
“We identified the suspect through surveillance cameras. He admitted to accidentally touching the woman’s body as it was crowded inside the train,” a 49-year-old Emirati policeman said on record.
- Sharjah mobile police stations ensure zero crimes
- Expatriate man in Dubai kidnaps girlfriend, absconds after woman is rescued
- Dubai visitor arrested for touching woman inappropriately while she was walking alone
- Watches worth Dh640,000 stolen from Emirati footballer’s home in Dubai
- Dubai blacksmith abuses girl playing in her garden
- Dubai-based man assaults wife over family dispute
The defendant claimed that he had run away because he was afraid when the victim shouted at him.
Dubai Public Prosecution has charged the defendant with sexually abusing the victim.
A verdict is expected on August 24.