Dubai: Violators of the ban imposed on movement or using any means of transportation in Oman will be fined RO100, the Royal Omani Police said on Friday.
However, the police said that those who have a confirmed appointment with health institutions can cross from one governorate to another, provided that the text message that confirms the date of the patient’s appointment is shown.
Earlier last week, Omani authorities decided to impose a complete lockdown of all governorates starting Saturday, July 25 at 7pm to Saturday, August 8, 2020.
The ban of movement and the daily closure of all public places and commercial outlets will be from 7pm to 6am, starting from Saturday, July 25 to Saturday, August 8, 2020.
“The death rate due to covid-19 in the Sultanate is not more than 0.5 per cent and healthcare system is fully functional and intact, said the Minister of Health, Dr. Ahmed Al Saeedi during the 13th press conference of the Supreme Committee on Covid-19.
The Minister stressed that the epidemic is still continuing and spreading quickly among families, workplaces and society.
“Lockdown decision has been taken due to the growing number of cases reported recently. The closure has been done from partial closure for the areas where the disease is widespread to the total closure between the governorates,” said the minister.
“There is an official and personal communication with vaccine companies, and steps have been taken to provide the vaccine in the Sultanate once it is available,” he added.
Al Saeedi urged everyone with Covid-19 like symptoms to undergo health quarantine.
The health minister added that sadly, the epidemiological situation has changed during a short period, putting Oman at the forefront of countries that record high cases compared to the number of the population.
The Supreme Committee said they received reports of staff gathering at workplaces for prayer or lunch, and this is what prompted the Committee to reduce the number of employees to 30 per cent at public sector workplaces.
Meanwhile, Dr. Saif Al Abri, Director General of Disease Control, said: “We hope that from the middle of next week there will be a noticeable decrease in number of cases,”.
Eng Ahmed al Dheeb, Undersecretary of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, clarified cargo trucks with a load of more than 3 tonnes and fuel cars will be allowed to move between governorates during the closing period with permits.
Dr. Ahmed Al Futaisi, Minister of Transport said health isolation for 14 days is still mandatory for those coming to Oman.
Minister of Transport said regarding employees working outside the governorates of their residence, “If we start with the exceptions, the complete closure will be not effective”. He also clarified that Omanis must have an approved health insurance of the destination they are visiting in case of international travel.
“During the lockdown, those who travel to the Muscat airport to travel abroad must show the travel documents including ticket at checkpoints, and should be accompanied only by the driver of the vehicle that drops him,” he added.
The decision to open the fifth package of activities, including beauty salons, has been postponed due to the decision of closure.