Cairo: Kuwait has confirmed 491 new cases of the novel coronavirus over the past 24 hours, an increase of 63 cases against the tally of the previous day, taking the country’s total infections to 67,448, the Kuwaiti news agency KUNA reported Saturday.
The latest cases are 358 Kuwaitis and 133 foreign residents, the Health Ministry’s spokesman Dr Abdullah Al Sanad said.
All the new cases were in touch with previously infected people or are being investigated for sources of infection and identifying those who were in contact, he added.
Six new deaths from COVID-19 were announced, taking Kuwait’s total such fatalities to 453.
There are 134 patients receiving intensive care treatment, the official added in a media update.
Kuwait’s total virus tests have reached 507,520 so far after 2,432 tests have been done over the past 24 hours, Dr Al Sanad said.
- Photos: Shoppers throng re-opened malls and shopping centres in Kuwait City
- Photos: Lockdown lifted in Kuwait's Mahboula
- COVID-19: How India plans repatriation of stranded citizens from UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UK and rest of the world
- Photos: Biennial Kuwait Aviation Show kicks off with flypasts
- Gulf War: Thirty years ago, Iraq invaded Kuwait
- In pictures: Rafael Nadal launches new tennis academy in Kuwait
The Health Ministry also said that 593 more patients have recovered from COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, raising to 58,525 the overall number of recoveries from the disease in Kuwait.
Kuwait has recently eased virus-induced curbs under a phased plan to return to normal life.
Last week, the country began cutting a nighttime curfew to six hours a day while hotels and resorts were reopened. Fifty per cent of government and private sector employees are allowed to report to work.
On Saturday, Kuwait partially reopened its airport for commercial flights.