Cairo: A security escort of Kuwait's Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, who is currently in the US for medical treatment, has been ordered to return home to face questioning for allegedly filming the Emir’s motorcade before departure and posting it online, Al Qabas newspaper has reported.
The order to bring back the officer, who is a member of a security team escorting Emir Sabah in the US, was made by Kuwaiti Interior Minister Anis Al Saleh, the paper said, quoting a security source.
The minister ordered the security man be interrogated over the incident, according to the source.
There was no official confirmation of the report.
A video clip has gone online allegedly showing the Emir’s motorcade arriving at the airport in Kuwait where a US medical plane was waiting to transport him.
On Friday, Kuwaiti Minister of Royal Affairs Ali Jarah dismissed as untrue online images of the 91-year-old Emir.
“It is necessary to observe accuracy regarding news or photos circulated or published, which are not authorised by the royal court or through the official channels that may make their circulators liable to law,” Jarah said, according to the official news agency KUNA. It was not clear if the official was referring to the purported footage.
Emir Sabah left Kuwait on Thursday for the US to complete medical treatment. Last week, he was admitted to a hospital in Kuwait where he had successful surgery due to an unspecified health condition, according to Jarah.