Dubai: Saudi Arabia announced 4,128 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, taking the overall infections to 205,929.
A total of 56 COVID-19 patients have died of complications caused by the coronavirus infection, raising the number of virus-related fatalities so far in the Kingdom to 1,858.
The Saudi Ministry of Health said that 2,642 more patients have completely recovered from the deadly disease, bringing the total number of recoveries so far to 143,256.
Riyadh topped today’s list of cities with the highest number of cases detecting 360 new infections followed by Dammam with 315 and Hofuf with 217 and Al Qatif with 214 cases.
Yesterday, Saudi Arabia passed the grim milestone of 200,000 confirmed novel coronavirus cases, weeks ahead of the Haj pilgrimage drastically cut back because of the pandemic.
Amid tight restrictions to rein in the pandemic, the kingdom has said it will only allow around 10,000 worshippers already present in the kingdom to take part in the annual Haj pilgrimage later this month.
In 2019, the rite attracted over 2.5 million Muslim pilgrims from around the world.
This year’s Haj will take place under strict hygiene protocols, with access restricted to pilgrims under 65 years old and without any chronic illnesses.
Pilgrims will be tested on their arrival in the holy city of Makkah, and following the ritual they will go into quarantine in their homes.