Cairo: Egypt has said it has sacked a senior official at the Ministry of Manpower after he made offensive online remarks that triggered an official Kuwaiti protest.
Last week, the Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry summoned the Egyptian ambassador to the country and condemned what it called “shameful practices” by the manpower official and urged Egypt to take immediate action against him.
In response, the Egyptian Ministry of Manpower said it had unseated the official, an aide to the minister, and referred him to interrogation by a high-level legal commission.
“The remarks he made on social media are considered a transgression and a violation of duty that is not related to the Egyptian government,” the ministry said in a statement without naming the official or saying what his exact comments were.
Egyptian Minister of Manpower Mohammed Safan also denounced what he called the “aide’s transgression against Arab symbols”.
“Offending Arab symbols is unacceptable from an official or an ordinary person,” Safan told private Egyptian television Sada Al Balad Saturday night.
“This decision [sacking] is a lesson for him and others,” he added.
Egypt has a large expatriate community estimated at around 500,000 in Kuwait.