Cairo: Schools, used as makeshift houses for government employees in Kuwait, are unlikely to be evacuated before July, educational sources have said.
Last March, the Kuwaiti government extended suspension of classes in all educational institutions until August as part of precautions to battle the novel coronavirus.
Nearly 370 schools across Kuwait have since been used by various governmental bodies to house their employees, the sources told Kuwaiti newspaper Al Anba.
The government has asked those agencies to provide alternative residences for their workers, but a virus-related curfew and a total lockdown imposed on some areas in the country have hampered the process of looking for alternative shelters, they added.
"It is very difficult to evacuate those schools and hand them back to the Education Ministry before July," the sources said.
They added that the delay in evacuating the schools will negatively affect the ministry's action plan.
"Most schools have been damaged and need a longer time for revamp," they said.
On May 10, Kuwait began enforcing a 20-day complete curfew aimed to contain the virus that has resulted so far in over 27,000 infections and 212 deaths in the country. On Sunday, the country shifted to a nighttime curfew as part of a gradual plan to return to normal life.