Sharjah: UAE-based civil society organisation Friends of Cancer Patients (FOCP) is appealing to individuals and organisations to contribute generously to its Zakat initiative, ‘I Deserve a Life’, that was launched in early February.
FOCP is dedicated to reducing the burden of cancer by generating awareness and offering financial support to patients in need. Since 2013, its Zakat campaign has involved community members, government bodies and private organisations to collectively raise Dh8.9 million, which has supported the cancer treatment of 1,666 patients in the UAE.
The organisation said funds raised this year will enable it to continue its mission to give needy cancer patients access to chemotherapy and radiation sessions, surgeries, transplants and medication, and also cover other expenses incurred during diagnosis and treatment.
“Every dirham is a ray of hope in the lives of cancer patients fighting for survival, said Hamid Al Hamid, programme manager Community Affairs at FOCP.
Al Hamid shared: “In 2020, our Zakat drive succeeded in collecting a sum of Dh2.1 million, which supported 346 patients and over the past nine years, our nation’s unparalleled generosity has ensured cancer treatment for 1,666 cancer patients who wouldn’t have been able to afford it otherwise, funding 40 chemotherapies, 70 radiotherapies, 44 medications, ten surgeries, 20 scans, 44 medical equipment and one bone marrow transplant.”
“Through this year’s Zakat campaign, we aim to surpass last year’s figures. This is the reason we made our call to the community in February this year — much earlier than usual — because we need to rally stronger support for our society. We urge everyone to come forward and do their best. No contribution is too big or small; every dirham is a ray of hope in the lives of cancer patients fighting for survival,” added Al Hamid, affirming that Zakat donations are spent under the guidelines of Sharia.
How to donate
Individuals and organisations in the UAE can choose to make a difference in the lives of people with cancer in multiple ways:
1. Online donations: Check FOCP’s website and make donations directly to FOCP’s ‘I Deserve a Life’ Zakat fund.
2. Zakat coupons: Help cancer patients through their treatment journey by purchasing Zakat coupons of Dh10, Dh50, Dh100, Dh500 and Dh1,000.
3. Yalla Give: Harness the power of collective efforts with personal or team fundraising drive via Yalla Give, the licensed online donation and crowdfunding platform in the UAE. Individuals can set up their own crowdfunding campaign and encourage family members and friends to donate while companies can encourage employees to be part of the giving movement.
4. SMS Donations: Save lives with a simple SMS! Message the word ‘Zakat’ to the etisalat numbers: 2303 to donate Dh10; 2305 to donate Dh50; 2307 to donate AED100; or 2308 to donate Dh500.
5. Bank Transfers: Donate any amount of money by transferring funds into FOCP’s ‘Zakatkm Elajohm’ local account no: 0011-364854-002 at the Sharjah Islamic Bank (IBAN number: AE440410000011364854002).
FOCP fitness challenge
Meanwhile, FOCP is again bringing its charity fitness challenge via the ‘Relay by FOCP’ smart application. Called the ‘Give & Gain 2021’ Ramadan challenge. This month-long challenge, which runs until May 4, offers a unique chance to those who want to work on their own fitness while embracing the spirit of giving associated with Ramadan.
To participate in the drive, individuals need to download the Relay by FOCP app and create their account. The app will then keep track of the number of steps the app user takes. Upon completion of a certain number of steps, the user will be eligible to donate a specified amount to FOCP.
Organisations can also contribute to FOCP by encouraging their employees to register for the challenge and achieve their daily quota of 5,000 steps. Participating companies will donate 1 fil to FOCP’s Zakat fund for every step their employees take.