Sydney: Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry has announced that she and Australia rugby union player Matt Toomua have decided to go their separate ways.
“It’s with the greatest of respect for one another that we decided to separate earlier this year,” the pair said in a joint statement the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
“We felt this was the right course of action and is in the best interests of each other and our current lives. This is something that has evolved and is a mutual decision.
“Throughout our relationship we have remained private and we ask that our space and privacy continue to be respected during this difficult time for both of us.”
Perry and Toomua got engaged in August 2014 and tied the knot in December 2015.
- Murali Vijay trolled for wanting to go on a dinner date with Elysse Perry
- UFC Fight Night 174: Title implications for Robert Whittaker and Darren Till in Abu Dhabi
- Waqar Younis’ two-minute chat on late swing did the trick: Sohail Khan
- Cricket: Kohli’s Royal Challengers Bangalore tipped to end IPL drought in UAE
- COVID-19: T20 World Cup put off to either next year or 2022
Speculation started spreading about the couple’s relationship in February when Perry arrived at the Australian Cricket Awards in Melbourne, where she won the Belinda Clarke award for the third time, without her wedding ring on.
The award capped off a dominant year for the all-rounder in her career which she also won the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Cricketer of the Year award.
Perry was then part of the Australian team that won the Women’s T20 World Cup in March, the fifth time they won the trophy.