Riyadh: Saudi Arabia’s Royal Air Defence Forces intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Iranian-backed Al Houthi militia towards the kingdom, the Arab coalition command said in a statement. No injuries or casualties were reported.
Colonel Turki Al Maliki, the coalition’s spokesman, said that at 21:25 on Friday, the coalition air defence detected the launch of a ballistic missile from northern Amran headed towards Saudi Arabia.
Al Maliki said the ballistic missile was launched “deliberately” by the Al Houthi militia towards a densely populated civilian area in the Saudi city of Najran. The missile was intercepted and destroyed, and no injuries or casualties were reported.
“This hostile act carried out by the terrorist Iranian Al Houthi militia proves the Iranian regime continues to provide it with advanced weapons capabilities, in flagrant defiance of UNSC Resolutions 2216 and 2231, with the main objective of threatening Saudi, regional and international security,” he said.
Al Maliki noted Al Houthis had launched 176 ballistic missiles towards the kingdom so far.