Cairo: The Saudi Health Ministry has dispatched 200 more health practitioners to the government-run hospitals in the holy city of Medina to support services there against the new coronavirus, an official has said.
“The new team coming from Riyadh will operate several acute care departments at the governmental hospitals and provide the intensive care service through the mobile robot utilisation,” Dr Awwad Al Omeiri, the team leader, told Okaz newspaper.
“This step aims to raise the level of preparedness for confronting the coronavirus pandemic and allocate thousands of ICU beds and ventilators at the hospitals,” he said.
Saudi Arabia has reported so far a total of 74,759 coronavirus cases including 399 related deaths.
On Monday, the Health Ministry confirmed 184 infections in Medina out of nationwide 2,235 cases.
Health Minister Dr Tawfiq Al Rabiah Monday night disclosed that the kingdom will later this week shift to a new phase in its combat of the highly contagious disease, as Saudi Arabia is moving to the gradual return to normal life.
According to the minister, the two-pronged plan will be based on treating critical cases, and expanding the scope of tests for the early detection of coronavirus infections.