Dubai: Saudi Arabia on Friday reported 92 confirmed cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of COVID-19 patients in the Kingdom to 1,104, according to the Ministry of Health.
The ministry said that 82 of today’s cases are people who were in direct contact with coronavirus patients while the 10 others are passengers who were abroad. They were immediately quarantined, it added.
Out of the 92 new cases, 46 were reported in Riyadh, 19 in Madinah, 10 in Qatif, 7 in Jeddah, 4 in Dammam, 2 in Dhahran, 2 in Buraydah, 1 in Hufof and 1 in Khobar .
Additionally, the kingdom’s Ministry of Education said that the suspension of schools and universities will remain effective and students will continue distance learning. “We have several educational options, including holding remote exams. Our top priority now is to help students complete the academic year. We call on all students to take distance learning seriously and on parents to follow up on their children,” the ministry added.
The educational progress is moving forward as per the academic calendar and exams will be hold on the tenth of Ramadan unless any development requires the otherwise, the ministry emphasised.
It urged members of the public to take information and news from official sources only and to refrain from spreading rumours.
Earlier last week, Saudi Arabia ordered a lockdown on the capital Riyadh and the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus.
In new preventive measures ordered by Saudi King Salman, entry and exit from the three cities will be prohibited, according to the SPA news agency.
The new measures, which took effect last Thursday, also include preventing people in the kingdom’s 13 regions from leaving the region or traveling to another region.
A three-week curfew imposed on Monday was tightened in Riyadh, Makkah and Madinah to begin at 3:00 p.m. local time (12:00 GMT) instead of 7:00 p.m. (16:00 GMT).
17 new cases in Kuwait
Kuwait on Friday reported 17 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed covid-19 patients in the country to 225, according to the Ministry of Health.
Out of the 17 new cases, five are related to travel. They involve four Kuwaiti nationals who had traveled to the US, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and France, as well as a resident who traveled to Jordan, Al Arabiya reported.
Nine new cases involve people who came into direct contact with previously infected people.
Three cases include residents who are currently under investigation to determine how they got the virus, the ministry said, adding that a total of 11 people are in intensive care.
Kuwait has taken several precautionary measures to prevent the coronavirus from spreading further.
An 11-hour curfew was imposed from 5 p.m. until 4 a.m. to contain the outbreak. More than 17,000 tests have also been administered in the country.
Kuwait also extended the suspension of schools and universities till August 4. Earlier this month, flights to and from the country were suspended until further notice.
Bahrain announces 17 recoveries
Meanwhile, Bahrain announced that 17 people recovered from the deadly coronavirus in the last 24 hours, raising the total number of recoveries in the country to 227.
The Ministry of Health said that 30,506 people had been tested for the virus in the country.
Bahrain reported 235 confirmed cases of coronavirus, and a total of four deaths. It was the first country in the Arabian Gulf to report a virus-related death.